Sunday, April 12, 2015

Commun Englash Mastakes 常見的英文錯誤


I teach "conversational English" to grades 3, 4, 5, and 6 at my elementary school.  I just finished correcting their mid-semester tests, and I've seen the usual mistakes in every class.  Below are some examples:  我在我的學校教3, 4, 5, 6年級的英文會話課.  我剛改完這學期的期中學習評量, 以下列的是一些學生常犯的錯誤.  :

1. Confusing "is" with "it's." 搞混is跟it's

I see this one more than anything.  Sentences like "He it's my brother," and "Is five o'clock" are commonplace.  Part of the problem, I think, is the fact that the word "is" isn't formally introduced in their textbooks.  這是學生最常犯的錯誤.  每天都會看到"He it's my brother"或是"Is five o'clock".  我覺得部分的原因是他們的課本沒仔細解說is跟it's到底是什麼意思.

2. "Can" vs. "do." can比do

This mistake has to do with answering questions in the proper form.  For example, if I say "Can you swim?" the correct answer is "Yes, I can."  And if I say "Do you like apples?" the correct answer is "Yes, I do."  Kids often answer "can" questions with "do," and "do" questions with "can," and sometimes they will even mix a form of "are" into their answer.  另外跟對方問的問題有關的.  例如我說"Can you swim?"答案應該是"Yes, I can."  我問"Do you like apples?"正確的答案就是"Yes, I do."  小朋友常用"can"回答"do"的問題還是"do"回答"can"的問題.  他們有時候也會把"is"或是"are"混在答案裡面.

3. Confusing "he" with "she."  搞混he跟she的差別

It takes a lot of kids a long time to register the fact that "he" refers to someone (or something) male, and "she" refers to someone (or something) female.  The textbooks we use never explicitly state this concept, so it is left to the discretion of teachers when (or when not) to introduce it.  有的小朋友要學習英文很久之後才懂"he"指的是男的, "she"指的是女的.  我們的課本沒有把這兩個單字的差別說出來, 所以都要等老師說明介紹才會知道.

4. Capitals 大寫跟小寫

Kids in the lower grades will capitalize a lot of letters, often because they're confused about the uppercase and lowercase forms of these letters.  Sentences like "MY fatHer is VerY Good." are the norm until maybe fifth grade or so.  低年級的孩子會把很多英文字母寫成大寫.  這個問題發生的原因通常是他們不太懂大寫跟小寫的用法.  很多小朋友到五年級會寫"MY fatHer is VerY Good"這種句子.

5. Verb tenses 動詞時態

Because Chinese doesn't employ verb tenses, kids often shake their heads over the difference between "run" and "ran," "walk" and "will walk."  Particularly confusing are forms of "is" such as "was" and "will be."  This problem doesn't appear in elementary quite as much, but it does surface quite a bit in the sixth grade.  中文沒有動詞時態, 所以學生碰到"run,""ran,""walk,""will walk,"這種單字會很混亂.  他們最常搞不清楚的是"is,""was,""will be"的用法.  在國小這個問題不是每天看到的, 可是五, 六年級生會在動詞時態碰到這種困難.

Related Entries 相關的文章:

No comments:

Post a Comment