Sunday, April 12, 2015

Teaching English 10: Review

This entry is a review of this topic.  I'm not saying it's the last time I'll ever write about Education, but this is the end of the "Teaching English" entries.

In Teaching English 1 I talked about jobs I've had in Taiwan.  All of these jobs were as an English teacher, in both public and private schools.


In Teaching English 2: The Wrath of the FET I talked about types of "bad foreign teachers" that I have observed during my time in Taiwan.  Were I to approach this topic again, I would probably add at least 5 more types to the list.


In Teaching English 3 I talked about facets of English-language education in Taiwan, and my thoughts on each.  Many of these thoughts resurfaced later in the English in Taiwanese entry.  I discussed dual-language instruction, age limits, tests of English in public schools, and other, privately administered tests such as the TESOL and the TOEIC.


In Teaching English 4: Anxiety I talked about the anxiety that first-time teachers often feel in Taiwan, and strategies for coping with it.  I'm not sure how many people read this one, but I hope it was as encouraging as I meant it to be.  Yes, teaching ESL can be scary, but it can also be very rewarding.


In Teaching English 5: Dolch Sight Words I talked about the Dolch Sight Word List, which is a list of high-frequency words in the English language.  Every teacher of English should be familiar with these words.  They can save you a lot of time!


In Teaching English 6: Side by Side I talked about the Side by Side textbook, and how it might be used in the classroom.  I have used Side by Side for years, and although it has flaws I find it very useful.  I also use English Firsthand, Interchange, and the Ladybird readers quite a bit.  I am always trying to find a good blend of textbooks and more authentic materials/experiences.


In Teaching English 7: The MPiLGEF I talked about our school's expense-paid trip to Washington D.C., and what we got out of Microsoft's Partners in Learning Global Education Forum.  Looking at these pictures brings back a lot of memories.  My school is entering a similar IT competition this summer, and we'll see how we do.


In Teaching English 8: A Tuesday at Tung Hai I talked about a typical Tuesday at my school.  I realize that entries such as this one might seem a bit masturbatory, but hopefully someone got something out of it.  I have met a lot of people who are curious about what I do, and this was meant to satisfy that curiosity.


In Teaching English 9: Special Topics I discussed Task-based Teaching, and how my approach to special topics is a reflection of that methodology.   I talked about teaching PE,  Social Studies, and other topics through the medium of English, and also about some successes and failures I have had with each subject.


Which leads me to the present entry, Teaching English 10: Review.  You are reading it now, you know what it's about, so there is no need summarize, I think.


No comments:

Post a Comment